Booty, God, Booty.

In Atlanta, my favorite radio station is V103, the “People’s Station.”

It’s a hip hop station that plays mostly rap and R&B. The best part of V103 is their morning show. Everyday when I’m driving to work they do what they call an “Inspirational Vitamin.” They read a Bible verse and play a gospel song or a clip by a charismatic minister from Atlanta. I honestly find it to be an uplifting experience overall. The thing I find most interesting however is how they wedge the Inspirational Vitamin into their normal programming. What often happens is that right before they transition to the spiritual segment of the show they play some sort of booty song. Let’s say, “I’m in love wit a stripper.” Then they do the Bible verse and then they go back to booty music when it’s over. The essentially bookend the Inspirational Vitamin with booty, following a fairly simple formula – Booty, God, Booty.

It’s easy to laugh at how insincere that Inspirational Vitamin seems when it’s sandwiched between hardcore rap songs, but to do so misses the bigger point – we Christians often live our lives the same way. Maybe God is listening to the broadcast of my day and this is what he hears:
  1. Quiet time in the morning. Read the Bible, prayer, give thanks.
  2. Go into work and act completely different and disconnected from God.Come home.
  3. Spend time with wife. Read the Bible, pray.
Chances are, that to many outside listeners, the format of my life is just as out of synch as the people station’s “booty, God, booty.” It might not be as graphic or as neon, but the juxtaposition between who I am when I’m in “God mode” and who I am when I’m in work mode is pretty substantial.
I know you’ve probably heard this a million times before from other Christian writers, but next time you transition between two parts of your day, think to yourself, “Did I just go booty, God, booty?”
If nothing else, it’s a fun phrase to say.

(Old school readers will notice this post was something I originally wrote about last September.)

Comments

1. Me says

Booty, God, Booty….if this was 1992, DC Talk would write a song about that line.

Ok, what Christian word rhymes with booty?

-shawn

so many people going booty, God,booty,
      So the rest of the world can’t really see who he,
      Is and the love that could be,
      Theirs if we’d only do our duty,
      Say yeah Great Commission on em but do we,
      Act it out or scared to take it to streets,
      Well ill embrace the persecution cuz its never too mean,
      I’ve been transformed by the God that’s renewed me,
      – now ima put that in a song ;) ROMANS 1:16

• Tay says

At first I didn’t know how to take booty, God, booty. But the mire I think about it, the more I find it necessary. Everyone has not been transformed. Everyone does not know God. Many have nit been introduced to him or exposed to his word. If all I listen to is “booty, booty, booty” with NO intensions of ever seeking God how will I ever find Him unless someone ELSE brings Him to me? It’s like hiding vegetables in food so your kids will eat it. YOU know it’s good for them, but they may fear it. For them it may be a TASTE that they have to aquire. They may fear the tase of it from a bad experience that left a bad taste in their mouth so NOW they never want to try it again. You slip it in without them paying attention and they consume it, other wise they’ll never be exposed to the goodness on their own. Something like, “a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down.”

• Alleycat says

Not necessarily Christian or non Christian, just words that rhyme with booty: snooty (describes how Christians are seen by the world), fruity (or frooty if you work for Kellog’s),cootie (hence the side-hugs), Hootie (Darius Rucker), Judy (Garland, Blume, Jetson, or the Judge), Moody (Bible Institute), nudie (uhhhhh….), Tooty (from The Facts of Life)….that’s about it.

2. B Dub says

Hey Man…I gotta say I horse laughed…not even sure what horse laughing is…but I did it today reading these posts. And oh yes, out loud. I linked you on my blog (www.confessionsofaworsipper.com) and posted some of my favs. Keep up the humor man!

3. Ruth says

I love it! Just love it!

Found you through Sara at Coffee Randoms. I love your witty humour mixed with heart connecting truth.

4. Brenda says

Oh Jon, that is beautiful! Not only did I laugh (like I often do when I stop by your blogs) but I also had to take a moment and say “ouch”.

Like I often do when I stop by your blogs.

Spot on, my friend, spot on. I see a cool youth-group lesson right there, if that’s okay…

5. wallace5980 says

Jon, I’m very disappointed that you don’t listen to the Fish! The programming is so original…you never hear the same song twice. 8 times maybe, but never twice.
    -Wally

6. Writeaway says

Romans 7 says “For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.” -
    which is King James for “Booty, God, Booty.”

7. Cara Hoeppner says

Love your blog, I come for a laugh everyday.

Don’t know where to leave this suggestion… and it might get you into hot water.

But, I’ve noticed that Christians like to pretend that the earth is really only 6000 years old, and that Science is really a big evil Satanic conspiracy and that we have the “Truth”. We also like to use the bible as a science textbook. Then we wonder why kids leave the church when they get to University levels because they think that it’s one or the other: God, or what all my Profs are telling me is “reality”.

Might be too hot a topic, but if you’re brave…

(Grew up in an ACE school, so I know of whence I speaketh.:) )

• Joe says

There is actually quite a bit of evidence for a 6000 year old earth. Especially if we hold the story of Noah to be true–world-wide flood. That kind of devastation could rework the whole globe and create a huge number of instantaneous fossils… which, mysteriously is exactly what is found.

The other day I read they found a T-Rex bone that had soft tissue on the inside. Before this find it was believed soft tissue could only exist a few thousand years after death. The conclusion was soft tissue must be able to survive millions of years. Where the find could also point to a T-Rex only dead a few thousand years.

All I'm saying is, the more discovered about fossil remains and the assumptions made with dating such fossils the more I'm convinced the BIble is literally true–creation, flood, and all. It isn't that it competes with a "Satanic Science" but is backed by science itself.

• Danean says

I agree with Joe, if you start studying the Word as you do your school learnin' youd know that they kind of go hand in hand, Ive attended several siminars on evolution versus creation. Very interesting things that your teacher dont and wont tell you fo sho

• Alleycat says

Explain 2 things to me:
      1: What exactly blew up during The Big Bang? If you can’t answer for your faith, don’t mock mine.
      2: How is it that evolution is the only natural process to break the Law of Entropy? That is, order naturally derived from chaos without interference from intelligence and planning?
      You see, science has moved beyond science into matters of faith. The boiling point of water, the structure of cells, the distance from the Earth to the moon, are all definable, observable, provable facts that were determined by using the scientific method. You know, hypothesize, observe, draw conclusions, all that stuff. But the big bang theory, evolution, man-made global warming (or glo-BULL warming), and SETI are matters of faith and belief that have become religions of their own.

8. Cara Hoeppner says

Love your blog, I come for a laugh everyday.

Don’t know where to leave this suggestion… and it might get you into hot water.

Might be too hot a topic, but if you’re brave…

(Grew up in an ACE school, so I know of whence I speaketh.:) )

9. Cara Hoeppner says

Love your blog, I come for a laugh everyday.

Don’t know where to leave this suggestion… and it might get you into hot water.

Might be too hot a topic, but if you’re brave…

(Grew up in an ACE school, so I know of whence I speaketh.:) )

10. Cara Hoeppner says

Love your blog, I come for a laugh everyday.

Don’t know where to leave this suggestion… and it might get you into hot water.

Might be too hot a topic, but if you’re brave…

(Grew up in an ACE school, so I know of whence I speaketh.:) )

11. Cara Hoeppner says

Love your blog, I come for a laugh everyday.

Don’t know where to leave this suggestion… and it might get you into hot water.

Might be too hot a topic, but if you’re brave…

(Grew up in an ACE school, so I know of whence I speaketh.:) )

12. Anonymous says

Funny and true. On a serious note though…the people that listen to “booty…booty”, well chances are they aren’t tuning in to “the fish…the fish” so in the midst of their booty why not give them a change to hear a line from the Word (no judgment)? Reminds me of sinner…tax collector. Just sayin’. I’m usually yellin’ about “meet ‘em where their at” but this seems to be the year that the Lord is telling me, “Hey…meet ‘em where their at” Maybe…some of those “booty…booty” listeners will become “praise…God…Praise” listeners.

Again…just sayin’. Love your posts.

-KCB

13. Cathy says

Found your blog through a friend’s…the title Booty, God, Booty made me wonder what in the world and how it would tie into anything…but I completely understand and can’t wait to bring it up in conversation with my friends here. I’ll be back to check out other postings.

14. Anonymous says

Personally I find it somewhat disappointing that you would listen to hard core rap that can be degrading to women and devalue life without any convinction and then justify it with the fact that the station has an “Inspirational Vitamin” in the morning.

however, I do agree that we Christians live a life of “Booty” (sin)and then do a “God” thing. This God thing makes us feel better about ourselves for a few moments and then we to go back to the same sin (Booty. )I think this why the world refers to us as Hypocrits. I hear this justification from our youth all the time…”What’s wrong with it, they mention God”

“The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, then walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what the unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable”~ DC Talk

HAS

15. Chris Jones says

LOL I love Good old Hip-Hop music. It may be sex-drivin but it’s better than some, popular rock music. I’m reminded of Black Hole Sun please come!

(basically praying for death!)

at least Hip Hop and R&B is uplifting and encouraging and keeps my hopes up… and praying for a wife one day.

16. kimana83 says

“Booty, God, Booty” absolutely sounds like it could be a quote from Gilmore Girls. And lest you take offense at that (you are a guy, after all, and even guys who like GG are loathe to admit it), know that that is a very high compliment coming from me!

P.S. GOOD POST. I do that a lot…

17. Charlie Kondek says

“Ok, what Christian word rhymes with booty?”

DUTY!

Hilarious blog. I’ll be a regular reader!

18. bethyoung says

Oh my word. I too love hip hop music. But I’m a Mom of a 3 year old and 5 year old and a wife to a man that hates R&B for the most part. I have a hard time fitting in my hip hop addiction but I do manage at times. I absolutely love your site. Sometimes my life is Booty God Booty, and I like how you tagged that phrase. That reminds me, I need to turn on Baltimore’s best lunch time blast from the past re-mix hour. I need my PM Dawn fix.

19. Paxton says

Well it’s lovely knowing you can listen to songs like that and laugh. You might be rotting from the ears down, but you’ve got a sense of humor about it. o_O

20. Runnerish says

In Dallas we have K104 and it does the exact same thing, an Inspiration Vitamin or whatever. The pastor of a black megachurch comes on to do a, like, 2-minute devotion. The best part is when a song comes on afterward that is SO nasty – and nobody running the show catches even a little bit of the irony. Very booty, God, booty, heh. It’s like if the local pop station’s morning show had on one of the local televangelists to give listeners a quick shot of God each morning, then “I Kissed a Girl” came on right afterward. Heh!

21. Jennifer says

The title alone of this blog is incredible.

I love what you have to say and you do have a very valid point… it is not okay to live a Booty God Booty life.

22. Matt says

Nice post, made me laugh and made me think.

Scrolling through some of the comments on various posts you’ve done saddens me in some ways though, because there are Christians on here who seem to be a bit over-ready to “call you out” for something they disapprove of – often in a snide or judgmental way. These are EXACTLY the things that make people say things like my coworker did last week – “If I wanted to be judged I’d go to church”.

Ouch.

Take-away for this:
    There’s nothing wrong with asking what is or is not appropriate for a Christian to be doing. However, it should be done graciously and preferably privately. That’s what Christ tells us to do – we should only be calling people out in public fora if they have already rejected discipline one-on-one and/or amongst a smaller group.

23. Anonymous says

On music: Before you criticize rap, think about what the lyrics for a lot of pop music, country, rock, etc. say or imply… are they really that much different?

• Alleycat says

Exactly. Sinatra sang a lot about booze, gambling, women, etc.
      Read the lyrics to “Mack The Knife.” Pretty horrific.

24. Lilly says

this is great… calling it booty, God, booty makes me want to reinstall meditation (!) time back into my life.
    i have to say though that when i read the title i thought you were calling God to a booty-dance or something. hahha.

25. mary says

i was paging through steve harvey’s book act like a lady, think like a man…

1. steve harvey is a prominent christian figure.
    2. he is african american.
    3. his book emphasizes the booty, god, booty like i’ve never seen before.

my friend said that the african american church is no different than the caucasian church – they just don’t hide all their dirt in the closet. it’s all out there for you to see.

hey, more power to em. at least someone’s honest about their junk.

26. Paula Neal Mooney says

i think i did this today.

listened to michael w. smith's "this is the air i breathe…"

then turned to timberland's "the way i are"

• Jennifer says

i have 12 or so preset stations on my XM radio. 9 are secular music (everything from 80’s on 8 to AltNation). 1 is Broadway. 1 is Blue Collar Comedy. 1 is News. and 1 is Christian. Listening to me flick the stations is probably severely confusing my children. “Take On Meeeeee” to Third Day to King of Leon to Larry the Cable Guy’s Poop Lasagne. I might need an intervention.

27. lewr says

Some people are honest about their junk, but also know that they shouldn't have the junk. That's why they try to stay away from the junk.

28. MsYO says

I prefer to think of it as a light in the dark quick and inconspicous lure to the heart of those who would never have heard it and turned the station otherwise.

Wow I have to say upon reading the title of this post I was unsure what to expect, then reading through it I really got confused. But I finally ended up laughing in Awe of the revelation you got from that moment in the morning. Touche.

Oh I have to say that I don't even listen to the radio anymore because of the juxtapositioning that's done. But you made me have to pick up my face. How do we go about our day? I gripe and go off on people who can't hear me at my desk. Got to be more consistent, AND have to live toward the calling. That was really preaching.

31. Alleycat says

Arrrrrgh! Shiver me timbers! Hoist th’ mains’l! We be lookin’ fer booty!! O God, giv’ me booty! I want th’ booty! Booty, God, booty! Arrrrrrrggghhh!

I just laughed out loud reading this! I’ve always found it interesting how radio stations and even rap songs and rappers themselves pull “Booty, God, Bootys” all the time! Examples: DMX’s “Prayer” on one of his albums back in the day (nicely sandwiched between two highly inappropriate songs), or how a music artist will win an award for a song like say, “I’m in Love Wit a Stripper” then thank God for blessing the album! Haha! All one can do is shake their head…!

Loved this, especially ! :)

• Tay says

I understand, but somewhere in the bible (can’t remember where right now but you can google it) it says that “God gives gifts without remorse.”. So even if you’re not using your gift to serve God, it’s still God given. At least they acknowledge where they got it from. Some Christians don’t even do that. They become so prideful with all that God has blessed them with and start really believing it’s because of something THEY’ve done, lol… When all they’ve done is accepted a gift from God.
      Also, we shouldn’t look at others and judge the authenticity of their praise based on their sin or what we see. No one can PRAISE God in vain.. And yes, we can judge right and wrong (try the spirit by the spirit of God) but we place so much value on other sins when God looks at ALL of it the same; DISOBEDIENCE. We all miss the mark, no matter how far from the other we may seem. We don’t know what kind of relationship they have with God, what their struggles are, how heavy their heart may be from what they do to make a dollar, how they may know Christ but like Peter their affraid so they deny Him. Rappers are human too. Jesus didn’t come to the world to condemn them either, but to save us all. Maybe we should pray for their souls instead of judging. Like Tupac Shakur said, “Only God can judge me.”

Thanks for posting! Just stumbled across this site and I had to Tweet about this post. :) Just subscribed to email updates too. Good stuff.

Looking forward to reading more from SCL!

When you get a second, feel free to check out my fiance’s site, GodandStuff.com

Amy

34. Tay says

At first I didn’t know how to take booty, God, booty. But the more I think about it, the more I find it necessary. Everyone has not been transformed. Everyone does not know God. Many have nit been introduced to him or exposed to his word. If all I listen to is “booty, booty, booty” with NO intensions of ever seeking God how will I ever find Him unless someone ELSE brings Him to me? It’s like hiding vegetables in food so your kids will eat it. YOU know it’s good for them, but they may fear it. For them it may be a TASTE that they have to aquire. They may fear the tase of it from a bad experience that left a bad taste in their mouth so NOW they never want to try it again. You slip it in without them paying attention and they consume it, other wise they’ll never be exposed to the goodness on their own. Something like, “a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down.”

35. Kathleen Bailey says

A friend had to give me the reference for this when you mentioned it in your article about taking summers off from church. This is good. This is accurate as far as our lives go, sad to say… thanks! (your “summer off” article was good too lol)

36. Jasonbinns3 says

I saw you at Big Stuf two days ago and I thought the concept of booty,God,booty is hilarious but meaningful in the way of our actual life.

From,Bryce

37. Ginsw123 says

Hey Jon I am a youth leader in Florida and we just saw you at BigStuf Camp Amazing. I was frantically taking notes to share with my High School girls I mentor. You are so funny and your honesty about some of your choices in life. I too made some life defining choices. Anyways it was great listening too you May God continue to bless you and keep you in his care. Ginny Westberg

1. [...] Stuff Christians Like takes a look at some of the stereotypical things christians love and some of the things we secretly love.  It is a humourous "insiders" look into Christianity.  People may think it is silly but don't be fooled.  Jon Acuff will smack you with some big truth like in the article Booty, God, Booty. [...]