Booty, God, Booty.

In Atlanta, my favorite radio station is V103, the “People’s Station.”

It’s a hip hop station that plays mostly rap and R&B. The best part of V103 is their morning show. Everyday when I’m driving to work they do what they call an “Inspirational Vitamin.” They read a Bible verse and play a gospel song or a clip by a charismatic minister from Atlanta. I honestly find it to be an uplifting experience overall. The thing I find most interesting however is how they wedge the Inspirational Vitamin into their normal programming. What often happens is that right before they transition to the spiritual segment of the show they play some sort of booty song. Let’s say, “I’m in love wit a stripper.” Then they do the Bible verse and then they go back to booty music when it’s over. The essentially bookend the Inspirational Vitamin with booty, following a fairly simple formula – Booty, God, Booty.

It’s easy to laugh at how insincere that Inspirational Vitamin seems when it’s sandwiched between hardcore rap songs, but to do so misses the bigger point – we Christians often live our lives the same way. Maybe God is listening to the broadcast of my day and this is what he hears:
  1. Quiet time in the morning. Read the Bible, prayer, give thanks.
  2. Go into work and act completely different and disconnected from God.Come home.
  3. Spend time with wife. Read the Bible, pray.
Chances are, that to many outside listeners, the format of my life is just as out of synch as the people station’s “booty, God, booty.” It might not be as graphic or as neon, but the juxtaposition between who I am when I’m in “God mode” and who I am when I’m in work mode is pretty substantial.
I know you’ve probably heard this a million times before from other Christian writers, but next time you transition between two parts of your day, think to yourself, “Did I just go booty, God, booty?”
If nothing else, it’s a fun phrase to say.

(Old school readers will notice this post was something I originally wrote about last September.)

Comments

I just laughed out loud reading this! I’ve always found it interesting how radio stations and even rap songs and rappers themselves pull “Booty, God, Bootys” all the time! Examples: DMX’s “Prayer” on one of his albums back in the day (nicely sandwiched between two highly inappropriate songs), or how a music artist will win an award for a song like say, “I’m in Love Wit a Stripper” then thank God for blessing the album! Haha! All one can do is shake their head…!

Loved this, especially ! :)

• Tay says

I understand, but somewhere in the bible (can’t remember where right now but you can google it) it says that “God gives gifts without remorse.”. So even if you’re not using your gift to serve God, it’s still God given. At least they acknowledge where they got it from. Some Christians don’t even do that. They become so prideful with all that God has blessed them with and start really believing it’s because of something THEY’ve done, lol… When all they’ve done is accepted a gift from God.
      Also, we shouldn’t look at others and judge the authenticity of their praise based on their sin or what we see. No one can PRAISE God in vain.. And yes, we can judge right and wrong (try the spirit by the spirit of God) but we place so much value on other sins when God looks at ALL of it the same; DISOBEDIENCE. We all miss the mark, no matter how far from the other we may seem. We don’t know what kind of relationship they have with God, what their struggles are, how heavy their heart may be from what they do to make a dollar, how they may know Christ but like Peter their affraid so they deny Him. Rappers are human too. Jesus didn’t come to the world to condemn them either, but to save us all. Maybe we should pray for their souls instead of judging. Like Tupac Shakur said, “Only God can judge me.”

Thanks for posting! Just stumbled across this site and I had to Tweet about this post. :) Just subscribed to email updates too. Good stuff.

Looking forward to reading more from SCL!

When you get a second, feel free to check out my fiance’s site, GodandStuff.com

Amy

3. Tay says

At first I didn’t know how to take booty, God, booty. But the more I think about it, the more I find it necessary. Everyone has not been transformed. Everyone does not know God. Many have nit been introduced to him or exposed to his word. If all I listen to is “booty, booty, booty” with NO intensions of ever seeking God how will I ever find Him unless someone ELSE brings Him to me? It’s like hiding vegetables in food so your kids will eat it. YOU know it’s good for them, but they may fear it. For them it may be a TASTE that they have to aquire. They may fear the tase of it from a bad experience that left a bad taste in their mouth so NOW they never want to try it again. You slip it in without them paying attention and they consume it, other wise they’ll never be exposed to the goodness on their own. Something like, “a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down.”

4. Kathleen Bailey says

A friend had to give me the reference for this when you mentioned it in your article about taking summers off from church. This is good. This is accurate as far as our lives go, sad to say… thanks! (your “summer off” article was good too lol)

5. Jasonbinns3 says

I saw you at Big Stuf two days ago and I thought the concept of booty,God,booty is hilarious but meaningful in the way of our actual life.

From,Bryce

6. Ginsw123 says

Hey Jon I am a youth leader in Florida and we just saw you at BigStuf Camp Amazing. I was frantically taking notes to share with my High School girls I mentor. You are so funny and your honesty about some of your choices in life. I too made some life defining choices. Anyways it was great listening too you May God continue to bless you and keep you in his care. Ginny Westberg

1. […] Stuff Christians Like takes a look at some of the stereotypical things christians love and some of the things we secretly love.  It is a humourous "insiders" look into Christianity.  People may think it is silly but don't be fooled.  Jon Acuff will smack you with some big truth like in the article Booty, God, Booty. […]