The crock pot, a love letter.

Dear Crock Pot-

Is there anything your circle of goodness can’t deliver?

Any bounty of deliciousness you are incapable of providing?

Any warm embrace of bubbly food delightfulness you are unwilling to share?

I say no. And it is for that reason I write today. You see dear Crock Pot, I don’t find you much anymore. We’re all trying to live a little healthier, eat less dishes that look like macaroni, cheese and beef got into a street fight. So now when I go to potlucks I can’t find you among the sea of vegetable plates and organically grown sea grass burgers. I look, oh, I promise you I look, but you are nowhere to be found. No minature hot dogs swimming in mysterious red sauce, no unidentifiable stew that is the crayon color of Burnt Sienna. Somewhere you sit in a cabinet, instead of your rightful place of honor.

I keep getting emails from people that say I should write about potluck dinners. And maybe I will some day, but that feels like writing about the stadium Michael Jordan played in, instead of you, the Michael Jordan of kitchenware. The potluck dinner is just a stage, the star of the show is the Crock Pot. The spotlight was designed for you my rotund friend.

If there were a dish hall of fame I would nominate you. If there were an NCAA type tournament, I would pick you to win my bracket. If I ever get a book printed I might hug you tightly in my headshot for the back cover.

Forever yours,

Jon
p.s. I’m leaving for New York today so if you see a mildly sarcastic person posting silly things about us Christians whilst in an Internet Cafe near Times Square, that’s me.

Comments

1. Anonymous says

My church broke our Daniel Fast with a pot luck full of crock pots. The best part was the announcement that said, “No pot, no luck!” Because you know folks would have come to eat without bringing anything!

2. Valerie says

YOU need to be the one to bring back the Crock Pot. YOU need to be the one to usher in this change, to bring pot-social-luck-blessing-fests back to their original glory. You can do it. I believe in you.

3. Anonymous says

“You’re so forgiving too. We can just throw something in you and completely forget about cooking for hours. Even if that meal spent an hour too long in your hot belly, it’s OK. You won’t burn it. You won’t hurt it. Your love is tender.”

Quite possibly one of the most eloquently worded paragraphs in the history of American Literature; rivaling the Preamble, the Gettysburg Address, and the open theme to Star-Trek.

-John Hall
    Fresno, CA

4. Shannon says

Amen brother! I love me my crock pot. There is nothing like coming home from work to the amazing aroma of something that took you only 5 minutes to throw together and you didn't even have to be there while it cooked.
    Too bad our Church seems to have banned potlucks. I cannot remember the last time we had an honest to goodness potluck, but I do remember that it was my first encounter with the yumminess that is split pea soup…made in a crock pot I might add.

I can't cook but now I'm tempted to go out and buy a crock pot just to see what my mind can come up with. "No minature hot dogs swimming in mysterious red sauce, no unidentifiable stew that is the crayon color of Burnt Sienna." I'm so hungry!!

6. April says

I love my crock pot! especially in the long winters up here in VT.

as for healthy pot lucks…my theory has always been that i can eat healty at home. that's why, when i cook for a group, you get real butter, full fat everything, real sugar! real food just tastes so much better. that being said, one of my family's favorite crock pot dishes is queso dip: ground beef, RoTel tomatoes, salsa, refried beans and Velveeta. soooo not good for you, but tasty! 😀

7. Molly says

Well. You have a book now and the crockpot is NOT on the cover. Looks like your crockpot love has faded :(

8. Rebecca says

Can’t cook healthy, delicious food in a Crock Pot? You just don’t know how to treat her.

Try the “Year of Slow Cooking” blog for ideas.

9. Nellwyn says

I read this today for the first time. And I picked up my copy of your book and looked at the back cover. And was mildly saddened to not see a picture of you holding the crockpot. ::sigh::