Getting font-tastic with faith!

It is a well established fact that the average Christian uses 32% more exclamation points in their emails than Atheists. It’s not that we’re more excitable than other people, just that once we start capitalizing He and You and other references to God we start getting a little crazy with our punctuation too!!!

That’s not what I want to talk about today though. What I want to address are the 7 official rules of church fonts. Having recently experienced quite a few in my travels to promote the book Stuff Christians Like, I feel it is my civic duty. Without further adieu:

The 7 Rules of Church Fonts

1. If you are doing a sermon or series on the Old Testament, you have to use Papyrus, that ancient feeling font. This is the Gandalf of all fonts.

2. If you are doing anything related to the youth group, you must use “Comic Sans.” Come on, it says, “Comic” right there in the title. This is the Spuds MacKenzie of fonts.

3. An image of an eagle, dove, or bough of olive branches can be used to punctuate a sentence.

4. If you have a “t” in a word and you don’t turn it into a cross, I hope you enjoy your visit to hades. It’s going to be a hot one my friend. And not a dry heat.

5. Always remember, “Where ten or more different fonts are gathered in one bulletin, there God will be as well.” Don’t be afraid to use every font you own all at once.

6. Don’t worry about getting pulled over for a BUI. Bold, Underlined and Italicized! You want something to “pop,” you better BUI like there is no tomorrow.

7. When in doubt, trust the Holiest, most important online font a human has access to, the flaming letters of importance. (I feel like this should be the official font of satan, but I swear lots of Christian sites apparently like it hot, hot, hot!

Those are my rules when it comes to church fonts.

Which ones did I miss? What are your faithtastic favorite fonts? Am I the only one who notices fonts?

Comments

There is a church in our neighborhood called Christ's Community Church. The "t" in Christ's is a cross, so the sign looks like it says "Chris's Community Church".

On Easter, the church bulletin should not have any O's, because the stone has been rolled away. That would be a fun mystery.

No, you're not the only one who notices fonts. One of my greatest frustrations about blogging is the limited font selection. How can I look holier-than-thou with Verdana?

I've been facing some of the same dilemnas. I recently discovered if I type something in my word processor, then cut it and paste it into my blog, I can keep some of the holier-than-thou fonts.
      I was also frustrated with wanting holier than thou formatting– sometimes, for example, I wanted extra space between paragraphs. Stupid blog squished everything together. Somebody suggested putting a character on these lines, but making that character the same color as the background.
      I imagine it depends on your blogging platform (I use wordpress) but hope this helps!

Erm, just use &nbsp; as many times as you like — you can put spaces between each one for a bigger gap; or use <span> tags that set a portion of blank space in their styling. Having a character the same colour as the background will cause serious issues if you ever change the style of your blog, and is a very ghetto way of doing things.

If you're comfortable working with the source, you can also add < br / > (without the first and last spaces; I wasn't sure if it'd show up correctly in this comment) for a line break. Repeat as necessary.

Depending on the blogging platform you use, you might be able to upload a font and display it using CSS similar to how you upload a picture or media file. I use a custom font for my youth group's website (which on a side note, my youth pastor has become obsessed with. The font not the website.) I believe Blogger and other blog platforms have plugins for such things. The downside is that often times it takes a bit of technical knowledge of HTML and CSS to make it work. Anyway if I can help at all let me know.

3. Mandy says

Lots of truth! As a church secretary responsible for bulletins and newsletters, I have the advantage of being able to use fonts that DON'T drive me crazy! Haha. :-) I hate Comic Sans with a passion, and used to love Papyrus, but it has been SO overdone.

Definitely wear out the BUI though. :-) There is nothing more frustrating than spending your entire week working on a bulletin or newsletter and making sure that everyone knows what's up and what's changed and what's deadlined for Sunday, only to have someone walk in or call on Monday to ask a question about something that was clearly BUI'd. I want to scream "READ YOUR BULLETINS, PEOPLE!!!" What's really funny is when pastors or deacons do that! :-D

My pet peeve is that people want to cram things into the bulletins or newsletters, but they want the fonts big enough for older people to read. I think I'm going to start making a large print version of the bulletin.

• Amanda says

I think my church actually does make a separate large print version of the bulletin for some of the senior citizens. It's actually a pretty good idea.

Mandy I am right there with you!

I absolutely LOATHE Comic Sans! It's almost ridiculous the amount of dislike I have for that font! I feel the same way about Papyrus too! I used it a TON when I first started working at the church three and a half years ago. Now, I avoid it at all costs!

I have stopped BUI-ing stuff for the most part though. I've decided that it doesn't matter how much I BUI something, people still won't pay attention to it!

I completely have the same pet peeve about people wanting to cram things in but still use older fonts. I've thought about doing a large print version as well!

You know, I'm thinking we could do an entire guest post just from church ministry assistants/secretaries/receptionists. It could be TONS of fun!

Papyrus and Comic Sans are a blight on humanity. They are the elevator muzak of the visual world. It speaks to the need to be bland and quick and easy. To put it in other terms it is the Sysco food of Christian communication. Really Church we can do better.

Ok. I'm better now.

My favorite with regards to punctuation is the !!!!!!!!!!!!1. The "I got so EXCITED that I accidentally let go of the shift key for the last exclamation point!!!!!!!!!!1" DANGIT! Did it again!

6. Faith says

my staff knows that the use of Comic Sans may result in their immediate dismissal. I realize this decreases our holiness points, but it raises my sanity points.

"Papyrus, that ancient feeling font. This is the Gandalf of all fonts." So very true.

What purpose do wingdings serve? Never understood why those are even an option.

:|☹☹☹

Or to annoy teachers. One time in high school I typed up a paper and then converted it to Wingdings before printing it out and handing it in. I think it basically tripled the length of my paper. Using Courier New instead of Times New Roman is for amateurs.

• Benxamin says

Webdings and other icon fonts were created to make it easier to render graphics online. In the mid- to late-90's you had to make everything on the Internet out of just HTML characters. Browsers were not as sophisticated as the are today. Icon fonts were used to make borders and other user-friendly icons: magnifying glass (search), shopping cart, delivery truck, arrows, bullets, etc.

Look around this site. There are arrows next to the replies, thumbs up/down buttons, and a down arrow under the typewriter (in the header), and several icons from the various social networks. The need for icons hasn't gone away, it's just that they're made from graphics programs (like Adobe Photoshop), now.

How about those pseudo-cursive fonts when you want something to look personalized, handwritten and intimate. Seriously? Are we actually fooling anybody? Even if somebody didn't know about those fonts, who writes in cursive (other than that grandmotherly 5th grade teacher who's about to retire?)

I used one of those for my wedding invitation address labels. The USPS didn't appreciate it. I don't think my parents ever got invited. I guess I trust that God got all the right people there!

• Talia says

i do ….and i'm gonna teach my kids to do it to….since apparently technology has made penmanship obselete and it's no longer taught in schools….tsktsk.

• Donna says

Abeka teaches cursive first, as do many classical curricula (and classical/Christian seem to go together. I don't know that I've ever seen a non-Christian classical school). So in another generation or so, they will know we're Christian by our handwriting ;).

We were never taught cursive in New Zealand. It must be an American thing. I find it incredibly difficult to read fancy handwriting. Why make something hard to read when you could just type it in Arial or good ol' Times New Roman? My blog is currently in Verdana, which I think is a very basic, appealing font, and well suited to multiple paragraphs of text.

9. paul says

The majority of fonts developed for computers are pretty awful. There seems to be little, if any, consideration given to kerning, leading, legibility or readability. When you throw in the fact that the average person who puts together documents for consumption has absolutely no concept of good design, you have a recipe for disaster. Knowing how to use software means just exactly that, you can use the software. Design competence is something else entirely. White space? Well that's just something else we need to fill up! The reason why so few bulletins actually get read is that so few bulletins are readable.

When I used to do graphic arts the running gag was… "whenever possible put a little man next to your logo. For churches it's also just "lovely" apparently to use the slightly whonky maranatha! doves instead of an apostrophe. What's with the ! after maranatha! ??????? These days too, the youth groups have to use one of those fonts that look like your printer clogged and / or barfed at the same time that are hard to read with part of the type missing. One a slightly different note, for the church to smell right, as well as the bulletin to look right, at least 50% of the women should be wearing too much Eternity by Calvin Klien to remind us of our final destination and to get the proper blend of smelling like the fragrance counter at Macy's exploded in the sanctuary.

I design everything that goes up on the big screen at our church and I try to not get funky with the fonts. Basically I just choose fonts that the old people can read. Nothing fancy here…keep walking.

And I'm not even sure Papyrus is an option (I've never checked), but I know Comic Sans is there (not that I use it).

12. SkagitMomma says

I'm the person who will miss the opening hymn, announcements and pastor's greeting because I am so busy editing the bulletin in my head. Our bulletins are typed, on a TYPEWRITER, then copied on the copy machine. Since there are not a lot of font options on a typewriter, the exclamation point, #, $, and * get lots of play to get the point across. Also, they use graphics that actually have to be cut out and pasted (with scissors and glue)on the original to get them on. I've seen your slick, big church bulletins, and they got nothin' on Melba's typing!

• Kim C. says

Using the typewriter and the original "cut and paste" is much less time-consuming and light-weight than chiseling on stone tablets.

• Michele says

Good observation. Every church should have a Melba. She is organist, secretary, runs the kids program, and has her eye on all operations church-wise. All seeing, all knowing, just waiting for omnipotence.

• Michele says

I know, Melba leaves me speechless, too. And, so you know Kim, the chisel and stone are in the basement in case of………..the end of times.

• Giordi says

I live in Skagit Valley and if you're serious about the typewriter bulletins, I HAVE to know what church you go to. I may drop in one Sunday just to see.

Wow. When I cleaned out my office (I'm church secretary) last year I found books and books of old clipart like that and it took me a minute to figure out what it was. I was suddenly very grateful for Microsoft Word.

All accurate and verifiable.

When the handout does don't seamlessly fill up, and thou picture of a dove doth not fill upith the bottom, thou shalt use Courier New, becauth we all grabeth thine knowledge from the the tree of knowedgeth that it is the research paper filler upper font.

14. Kyle says

Every church seems to use the same font for their music powerpoint slides, I'm not sure what it's called though.

Well, as others have said, Jon you're not the only other person who notices fonts. I'm always looking at different fonts, whether it is at church or somewhere around the city. I must make a confession though…because I am the one who does the graphic work for the church at which I work, there has been a time…or maybe two…that I have been tempted to use "Papyrus". It feels better to get that off my chest, one of the reasons I never have used it is because of the "Coming to a worship service near you" trailer.

As for other church font rules, even though I've never done it, I'm pretty sure some churches us "Times New Roman" when teaching through the book of Romans. Probably hoping that they will get the people to think of the teaching points each time they see the font for the rest of their lives.

16. Ian says

You should put a warning on this post so typography nuts don't unwittingly click on it. Keyboards don't work so well when they're covered in vomit.

• Lindsey says

Agreed. My student of graphic design self is dying right now, it just can't handle the use as many fonts as possible statement.

my wife gets frustrated with me when I randomly scream "why God why?????!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!!!!" in the middle of the store. You'd think she would have learned by now that I have seen an offending font, but she still asks every time and then just walks away when I say "They used Papyrus on the logo for this product. What were they thinking???"

gaaaaaah, Papyrus is everywhere. I thought the world had come to an end when it was used in Avatar, and I was just coming to terms with that when I come over this morning, the first time in a week since I have been away from my computer at camp and see it on your blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's exactly like I told the students at camp, we can only hold back evil for so long, once you leave camp it comes back with a vengeance.

Im not even a good designer, and I frequently find myself not remembering what the font said, just that it was papyrus. My wife has even started referring to restaurants as "the one with the comic sans menu." It's a proud moment for me.

Fonts should not speak louder than their content.

Our kids refer to places by their font name and will refuse to go to some places because of bad logo design. My husband and I both have backgrounds in graphics design. We think a critical spirit is part of the affliction that goes with being graphic artists.

SO TRUE.

I have a (graphic designer) friend that actually plays a game called "Spot the Papyrus", in which you just pay attention to how many freaking places use that font. Once we were driving somewhere, immersed (or so I thought) in a conversation, and she, out of nowhere, shrieks, "PAPYRUS!" It's one of those things you can't unsee, you know?

I will humbly admit that I, too, am a font addict. I often find myself looking all over the Web at different fonts for hours at a time. I gaze at every serif and slowly gauge the curvature of each italicized rune. Every once in a while I start looking at fonts, and I end up neglecting my other responsibilities like work and family. I believe it's starting to cause me to take part in other activities, like reading and writing. I used to only compare fonts for a few minutes a day, but it's come to where I need to do it for a lot longer for it to be fun. The good news is that I can stop looking at fonts any time I feel like it… Really… I can…

Those are GREAT. And oh so true. I actually won't use papyrus anymore because of how much it is over used. Nice font, but there are others out there as well.

Have to admit, this is the first time I have seen the flaming letters of importance. Can you BUI them as well? Just asking! :-)

I almost hyperventilated at #1 and #2. I have a passionate hatred of both those fonts. (Am I allowed to hate an inanimate object like a font?) And my eyes are in pain from #7. I do the graphics for our church, and people don't understand why I don't do these things, especially #5.

Oh Font Sensei, what font should a liturgical church use? What about a font for Reformation Day in a Lutheran Church? What about funerals? weddings? Are there scriptaculous fonts for these contexts?

Ha ha. I believe the exclamation point thing. I posted on my blog this morning before I read this and it definitely reiterates your point. I have a problem with over-punctuating things!!!!!!!!! If I could make that last statement bold and italicized I'd be a happy girl. :)

Ummmmm… you forgot the women, Jon… women's ministry fonts… always either Monotype Corsiva, Bradley Hand or Edwardian Script. It must also be in purple. Don't forget the purple lest your femininity will be in question.

You forgot…

Finding the little cross in Wingdings and using for all bullet points on a flyer, or to separate the address from the phone number on the church letterhead.

26. Hey Hey Hey says

I'm too busy worrying about the mistakes in our bulletin to notice the font. I would complain about the church secretary, but she's the pastor's daughter, so…

27. Reedo says

Maybe this applies more to pre-computer times, but the essential Clip Art books could contain fonts as well. Perhaps nothing screams '70s more than big block letters.

28. Cody P says

I thought Papyrus was the Official Font of Christianity.

And I almost couldn't read this post because of the flaming letters – had to keep them scrolled off the screen.

29. Kaylan Christopher says

I'm the writer/editor on the communications team at a large church and we've banned all forms of Papyrus, Comic Sans, and Curlz from showing up on any print or video pieces around here. I throw up in my mouth a little every time I see Papyrus. I don't know what it is about it that makes me gag. Either way… thanks for this. It looks like you've been reading our mail because we've discussed the annihilation of every one of the rules you've mentioned.

• Kaylan Christopher says

Side Note: Women's Ministry and Children's Ministry likes to use Curlz on self-designed pieces. Bleh.

Self-designed pieces are the bane of my existence. I think people think they're helping me out by doing my work for me, but the thing is, I HAVE A GRAPHIC DESIGN DEGREE. THEY DO NOT. LET _ME_ DO IT!

My husband knows very little about graphic design, but he can always tell when someone else designed a flyer – and not just because of my wild rantings about it.

Maybe it's a denominational thing, but our youth group uses IMPACT for everything instead of Comic Sans.

And in the tradition of Papyrus, I think that ZapFino is on it's way to becoming the over-used title slide font of the decade.

Gotta love it! This is why I use a free font website now, but I have been guilty in the past (I've used Papyrus and probably Comic Sans at some point). Also, for some reason I really want to go to this P.U.R.E Celebration and I hear the tickets are half off!!!!!!! Those fire letters sure do pack a punch! :)

32. amber says

I'm definitely a font geek (I saw the Vancouver Olympics logo and thought, "Hey! Neo Sans!"), and have discovered that most people have NO idea how overused some of these fonts are. Even the people who made the movie AVATAR used Papyrus! You'd think, with their budget, they could have created their own font. But I digress.

Another offender is Arial Black. Because Bold + Italic + Underline just isn't always enough.

33. Patrick B says

As a proud owner of more than 3000 fonts, and the guy in charge of the bulletin, there are a few other rules I follow.

1) Any invitation must be printed in French or Brush Script. And must be a font size small enough to cause headaches.

2) For extremely holy stuff, I use the Jerusalem font. It makes the letters look like they are written in Hebrew. Now do not confuse this with the Spiritual Warfare font that was created by a Satanist who included a txt file containing a curse. (No i am not kidding, tho it is stupid)

34. Lois says

Great resources for fonts – 1001freefonts.com and dafont.com

I have 17 folders of fonts that our office uses to publicize events. We are always looking for new fonts to keep things fresh!!! (Is that too many exclamation points?)

35. Brenda says

I love the idea of no O's in the Easter bulletin! Hilarious! And that video about the Font Conference was great!

I don't know much about godly fonts, but I learned a new word today: kerning.

or KERNING!!!!!!!1

(If I could bold it, I would.)

37. WhitSetMe1 says

Hilarious! Another component of this is the background/wallpaper selection PLUS the font while lyrics for worship music are onscreen – that's a lot of thought into the whole multimedia experience!

Times New Roman has been so overdone, it should be retired. And Arial is fast approaching. If you think that church people overdo the exclamation points, you should see couponers and all those blogs: SALE!!!!, Don't MISS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!! 98% OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!

• harmoni says

Times New Roman is the bain of my exsistence – it's just so stuffy looking and difficult to read in a small point size. And why is it the default font on ALL our computers? Guess I should ask the IT guy that last question…

39. Doug says

Why would God give the church Jesus but then leave us devoid of imagination? OK, so I'm kidding… Me too. I notice those things way too much. Do you think it is a plot of Satan?

Zapfino: the font of weddings everywhere.
    Curlz: to use for any kids events and for the ladies if they're doing something crazy like a purse party.
    Cracked: for anything teen-oriented. because it looks so gritty and hardcore.

41. Stephanie says

Thats great! as a graphic designer I have a hard time not noticing how the church ruins text so i'm glad u pointed it out! i dont feel like i'm a horrible sinner ne more lol

42. British Liz says

A friend of mine has an "ideal font" rule you use when typing out your Bible study – to stop that panic you get when you're nervous about leading the study anyway and then you look down at your sheet of paper and can't see anything but a jumble of badly set out words on a page!

The ideal? "Trebuchet, size 12, two columns, well spaced, bold print. Mmmmm."

Bad fonts aren't half as bad as cheesy backgrounds on the projector screen. Whether it's an announcement, a sermon point or song lyrics there's nothing like a good ol' faithtastic puke green background or continuously flowing water to get everyone in a "God mood."

44. Anonymous Bruce says

I use Tempus Sans when I want to give Papyrus a break and I find Jokerman or Ravie for the heading provides enough contrast and variety for comic sans to really speak to the people. I have to confess I don't understand the hate for comic sans. It's a clear, legible font that doesn't shout 'legal document' like Arial or Times New Roman. And I still have no idea what kerning is.

45. Jeff says

You're definitely right about fonts. I and a lot of other people notice (and are probably greatly distracted from messages due to) fonts. It's pretty sad that we sometimes can't focus because of that, I will confess.

46. Ellie says

I'm hoping you said it as a joke and it just went over my head, but the phrase is "without further ado" not "adieu".

47. David says

I am so into fonts. I even change the font of the bulletin with each liturgical season…ok, maybe that's too much.

48. David T says

Jon, don't you know youth groups have given away Comic Sans as a hand-me-down to the childrens ministry! All the cool youth group kids are rocking Avant Garde or Futura these days, AND OFTEN WITH A STICKY CAPS LOCK KEY.

49. Meg says

I hope all this amazingly gifted design people who hate their church bulletins are going to volunteer to do design work at their churches . . . cause churches can't always afford to hire people to do that sort of thing . . .

• Nicole says

Meg, I am a professional designer and I have volunteered– but kept getting over-ruled so I’ve given up. People really like their comic sans! Thankfully God’s love transcend font usage. :)

Jon, as a graphic artist who has been church secretary (a.k.a. bulletin designer extraordinaire) for 5 years, and who prides herself on almost never using clipart, more than two fonts, fonts-that-should-be-banned (the foremost of which are Papyrus and Comic Sans, followed quickly by Monotype Corsiva), or borders/text boxes, I want to smack you over the head with a Baptist preacher's giant KJV Bible right now.

Just sayin'.

I'm a big believer in fontifying church!! If they want me to attend a camp or VBS I think they should persuade me with something more exciting than Arial Black!!

I am amazed that A) you got a whole blog out debating font choices and B) so many people, including myself, know the fonts you're talking about and have favorites of their own!! I personally prefer Jayne Print but its not really on any programs I use anymore. Bradley Hand ITC is the closest I can find. *sigh*

I find it amusing that you did an article on Fonts right after Cracked.com which is a decidedly not-Christian site… though they did reference church bulletins in their article as the most offensive font users.

I'm very picky when it comes to fonts. I like something that is legible but that is also as closely themed to what I am talking about as I can; when possible.

Impact is good. Makes a real impact.
    I've used fonts with exotic names from HydrogenWhisky to Jurassic. I think that the current font for my Japan blog's header is Japan. :)
    Hit up coolarchive's font section for a good selection. I've been using fonts from there for many years.

I'm trying to think of things you missed, but I think you got every one of them. I am on a mission to retire Papyrus and Comic Sans. For reals. There are other fonts to express whimsy. Also, Hobo needs to go.

I am so blessed to be part of a church with EXCELLENT promotional material/brochures etc… amazing!!

no over use of the word "awesome", not bad fonts, great use of church news…

It makes me smile :)

57. J Crysel says

I am guilty of all of the above…. I create the sermon series logos at my church.

I've also used worship eagles on video with the song "Everlasting God" during the guitar solo.

The font world is responding to our plight. You can actually get a font called Christian Crew…. too funny… it includes doves, doves with olive branches, crosses, and Jesus' face.

I don't think it's a true Christian font though…. you can still type 666 when using it.

58. Jesse says

There is nothing more distracting from the message than a bad use of fonts. It's like your minister wearing a pink leisure suit. I strongly believe Jesus would use Helvetica for everything.

For youth I LOVE(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! – yes parenthetical overuse of punctuation)

Birth of A Hero!

60. Beth says

It's amazing what a little helvetica and futura can do for the eye if used properly. We are always taught as a rule of thumb, use the least amount of typefaces as possible. 2 at the most. Papyrus makes me cringe.

61. James Mac says

It's gotta be Gill Sans for me. Every time.

And of course this gets me into trouble with the (admittedly small number of) fundies who know anything about Eric Gill and what he liked to do in his spare time…

Bleeding Cowboys is making a run for it in the edgy, angst-filled set.

I'm all about fonts but I'm finding that minimalistic seems to convey quite a bit more than the gaudy. Bank Gothic is a good one…I actually like Calibri…but more often than not, I use Georgia or Bookman Old Style.

Can we get a ruling on Tempus Sans? I actually like it, but I fear it's going the way of Papyrus.

63. DeLynn says

What a great post. It is so fun to read comments from other people who notice and care about fonts. :)

I certainly would cast my vote in an effort to ban Comic Sans. Yuck.

64. runner121 says

In my Childern's Ministry class, we were taught to use a font similar to Comic Sans because it makes the "a" how the kids learn to write it. Thankfully there are MANY other fonts out there that don't make their a's like we see them in this comment!

• CopyEditorElena says

Many of the products I've worked on have used Avant Garde for that very reason, especially those materials for kids in first or second grade to read.

I agree — the wide variety of fonts does need to be explored and used. :)

65. CopyEditorElena says

I was "so over" Papyrus by the end of production of Mount Extreme when I worked on the VBS project team (wow, was that 12 years ago??!!??). To this day, I can spot it more easily than almost any other font.

Now I'm partial to the ones my products use the most: Myriad Pro and Minion Pro. Reliable, readable fonts with lots of style choices. w00t!

is this blog just a ripoff of Stuff White People Like? I've never seen this blog before but I don't want to waste my time if it sucks. I came here searching for these rules I heard about on Spirit FM in Tampa.

67. scott says

Mistrel is also an infamous font.

Also, watch out for Marydale—a handwritten font that communicates a casualness.

68. Pete says

Wow… this was a horrible post… I disagree with about 90% of what you had to say. I'm well aware that you did this for fun, but on the off chance that someone else might take you seriously, I have to disagree. As a web/graphics developer for a church, simple and clean is always the best way. Don't detract from your message with cheap inconsistent distracting fonts. IMHO

69. ElusiveTurkey says

Being a church secretary and therefore the one responsible for making the bulletin, I have struggled greatly with the temptation to go fontastic. I’m ashamed to admit the former secretary and I used to go a little wild with fonts and made our bulletin look like a kid’s Sunday school take home paper. I won’t even go into our shameful usage of clip art — that’s a whole other post. My past font transgressions have caused me to become extremely legalistic and decide that the only font suitable enough for the bulletin now is Calibri, although occasionally I’ll let loose and use italicized Times New Roman. I’m proud to say, our bulletin is much more clean and professional than it was back in the dark days of font addiction. I’ve been clean for years and I ain’t goin’ back to my old ways!