The word that holds us back.

There is nothing special about January 1.

As a day, it’s not really different than any other day.

It holds no special power or ability that other days do not possess.

And yet, it tends to be the day of the year we all dare to try new things. We launch adventures, set resolutions and hope for something different this year. I do the same thing and over the years I’ve learned a lot about what holds me back from actually doing something.

More than anything, I struggle with the fear of regret.

What if I make a decision and I regret it?

What if I choose the wrong thing and I regret it?

What if things don’t turn out the right way and I regret it?

Fictional regret often cripples us from factual action.

Future regret paralyzes our present.

But here’s something I feel like God asked me once when it comes to regret:

“Am I not more powerful than regret?”

That’s a simple question, but at the heart of it is a problem. When you are afraid you might make a mistake you act as if God is not in the business of redeeming mistakes. You act as if you could make a mistake he could not handle. You act as if God is smaller than your mistakes.

He’s not. He’s awful big.

Bigger than mistakes.

Bigger than failure.

And yes, bigger than regret.

Comments

1. Gary W. says

This is perfectly stated Jon! Many times, the fears that limit us from stepping out and living life to the full are rooted in wavering trust in God and His promise to never leave or forsake us. He is BIG and ABLE and wants us to step out and live this adventure!

2. JD Dargai says

Except that this year the 1st was hump day. You’re welcome!

On a more serious note, thank you for this post. I had some bad experiences in the past few years due to some mistakes. For a while I really let it cripple me from moving forward. I thought “what if I go this direction and I have a bad experience again, then get too far down the road on that path, get old and lose a love of years of something good.” Well this whole thinking made me lose out on something good for at least a year because I didn’t start anything and being a passionate person I felt like I was inside a pressure cooker, just ready to burst.
    Thanks to people like you and a community of dreamers I’m back on track and ready to do stuff.

3. Steve II says

I just wrote a blog that kinda has to do with making mistakes. I’m right in the middle of potty training and that brought on a beautiful parallel between me and my daughter and my FATHER and I. You have to keep trying and never give up. To many people that just hate these days. For get them and push on!

4. inboxblueprinted.com/ says

In addition, never forget to add the lubricant in the sunroof rail to ensure smooth of it.
    If you have attic rooms or have had a loft conversion,
    efficient insulation is an absolute must. Various contractors offered me
    30-year, 50-year and even lifetime shingles.

5. yellows says

Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site, how can i subscribe for a blog website?
    The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your
    broadcast offered bright clear concept

Visit my web blog … yellows

6. drupalgardens.com says

I really love your website.. Very nice colors & theme.
    Did you build this amazing site yourself?
    Please reply back as I’m trying to create my very own website
    and want to learn where you got this from or just what the theme is called.
    Cheers!

Drop by our web page rice maker, drupalgardens.com,

7. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJwxrLAoCF6oRhr2oDwUeQw says

As I mentioned before, alcohol inhibits
    your cells from absorbing these essential nutrients effectively.
    The prices are soaring high, the quality can’t be determined and there is a better
    chance that you may get caught in possession of drugs.
    These include mood swings, hot flashes, lack of libido, increased body and facial hair and even the lowering of the voice.

8. trump ocean club panama says

Hi there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with
    hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended
    up losing months of hard work due to no backup. Do you have any solutions to
    stop hackers?