Wolf therapy. Yes, wolf therapy.

Over the years, I’ve blogged a number of times about counseling. I’m a fan and have benefited from it both as an individual and a couple.

Yesterday, my friend Angie Smith sent me these photos. It’s from an ad for a new service called “Wolf Therapy.”

Wolf 1

I have so many questions.

I myself am more a Kodiak Grizzly therapy guy, but you say tomato.

I’ve honestly heard great things about dog therapy and completely understand that these are wolfdogs, not purebred wolves. My friend has a couple of wolfdogs and says they are wonderful pets. But there’s still something pretty amazing about the phrase “wolf therapy.”

The bio of one of the beast therapists is pretty awesome as well.

wolf 2

There are three things that jump out at me are:

1. Some family thought it was a good idea to send their kid to college with a wolfdog. Can you imagine being that kid’s roommate? “Hey, I’m Tim! I brought a TV for our dorm. What did you bring?”

2. The wolfdog is able to read people’s emotions. Me too, that’s pure terror you’re reading.

3. That is the scariest picture ever.

If this is your company, I honestly think it’s awesome that you’re trying alternative approaches to therapy. Bravo. And I hope you have a sense of humor. I try to never offend someone who access to wolves.

As a reader, do you have any questions about wolf therapy?

Comments

I keep noticing the word “destroyed.” I’m trying to picture myself considering wolf therapy, reading this ad for Shade and thinking, “Yes, Shade is a destroyer! That’s the perfect wolf for me. That’s the exact therapy I need!”

I have no problem believing he’s a destroyer, either based on that adorable photo of Shade, of which I’m quite certain I will now be having nightmares about–but at least there’s a place I can go for therapy if I do. :) (Oh, wow, they’ve created a never-ending source of business. Their therapy causes you to need therapy, and around and around it goes! Brilliant!!!)

• Chris says

Mom and dad probably kept laughing because son was legally responsible for his own not well thought out plan. If my kid ever tells me he’s taking a wolf to college, I’m just gonna buy him a webcam for his room and ask that it be left on for kicks and giggles.

2. Lauri says

I respect therapy dogs, but I just feel like this is going to end up with the wolfdogs in a bad place because people don’t understand what they are.

3. spacegal2003 says

To be fair, I doubt #1 is true. He probably picked up the wolfdog on his own once he was at college, thinking it would be “cool.”

4. Rebecca C says

I suppose wolf therapy would be interesting, but I would not want wolfdog therapy. Wolves are predictable, wolfdogs are not. They are the schizophrenics of the dog world.

Well, as someone who lived with a wolf under the same roof for two months (and would’ve gladly continued to do so except I had to go back home to my country), I can tell that wolves are indeed very therapeutic. I cannot explain it – and probably many dog owners might say the same about their (more-domesticated) pets – but there’s something about wolves.

Reading this post made me miss Nome even more (he passed away few years ago…)

6. Kristie says

Here in south Louisiana, wolf dogs are bred and trained at Angola , the state penitentiary, to find and capture escaped inmates. They’re quite effective as a deterrent as well. Maybe it’s just me, but I’m not feeling the whole “take a wolf to therapy” theme.