How to Hillbilly Up a Worship Song.

A few weeks ago, I made fun of my friend Sojourner because he wore a tiger shirt on stage. I teased him because I was jealous that he could pull off a shirt with a full tiger face with no degree of irony. He is simply that cool. He didn’t even reference the shirt during the announcements he was reading from stage.

Tiger

I am not nearly that cool. Even saying the phrase “Snapback” in reference to a hat seems like something I am not cool enough to do.

In retaliation, he bought me a shirt, the majesty of which is probably going to explode your computer. I have named it “Freedom,” here it is:

Eagle

There are three things I find curious about this shirt:
1. How closely they cropped in on the face.
I wish I could have been in that design meeting when the client kept yelling at the artist, “Closer, closer, closer! Crop it tighter on the eagle’s face!”

2. The colors do run.

3. It says, “Do not iron.”
I would love to meet the person who thinks, “If I have a night out on the town with Freedom, I want it to look crisp! Better get out the iron!”

I’ve been wearing it all summer at BigStuf camps and taking some epic photos with people. Like this one:

Bacon

How ‘Merica is that?

Bacon and Freedom!

Upon seeing the shirt, my friend Ben Snider confessed one of his favorite games to play as a worship leader. He didn’t have an official name for it, so I’ll just call it “How to Hillbilly Up a Worship song.”

The game is easy to play.

Step one: Take your favorite worship song.
Step two: Change the words, “Our” and “Your” in the lyrics to the word “Y’all’s.”
Step three: Sing the song.

It might not seem like fun, but I promise, it’s delightful. Watch:

“Our God Reigns” becomes “Y’all’s God Reigns.”

“How Great is Our God” becomes “How Great is Y’all’s God.”

“Blessed Be Your Name” becomes “Blessed Be Y’all’s Name.”

I could do this all day, but you get the point. It’s delightful! It helps if you sing it with a little twang, (As if you are gargling with sweet tea) and don’t turn it into a theological discussion about the trinity. (Is the Father, Son and Holy Ghost, technically a “y’all?”)

What’s one worship song or lyric you’d like to hillbilly up? Share it in the comments!

Comments

Say a computer company provides cloud computing
    to businesses and individuals. At this point there are really
    more questions than answers when it comes to this new technology.
    t have to face the expenses of installing software, initializing the environment and configuring databases.

Feel free to surf to my site; cloud computing solutions for small business (youtube.com)

2. Dustin says

Some praise songs are hillbillied up the way it is. “God is Good, All the Time” has “yee-haw” written all over it.

Showing my age…

As the deer pants for the water
    So my soul longs after y’all
    All y’all alone are my hearts desire
    And I long to worship y’all.

4. Ryan Stroud says

Our small country church also gives the hillbilly up treatment to “Are You Washed in the Blood?” We sing it as Are you Worshed in the Blood. I’m always tickled by the southern twang our worship leader uses

5. Jennifer Bayard says

Not really on topic, but my cousins live in rural Mississippi. It’s very funny when they talk to their iPhones. The voice search consistently misunderstands them. As question like: “How to clean a catfish” will translate to something like: “How to train your mastiff.” Try as they might, they always have to type it in. They need to make an app, I suppose.

Wonderful blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers?
    I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you suggest starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a
    paid option? There are so many options out
    there that I’m totally overwhelmed .. Any recommendations?

Thank you!

I think that everything posted made a lot of sense.
    But, what about this? suppose you typed a catchier post title?
    I mean, I don’t wish to tell you how to run your blog, however what if you added a post
    title to maybe grab a person’s attention? I mean How to Hillbilly Up a Worship Song.
    – Stuff Christians Like is a little vanilla. You ought to glance at Yahoo’s home page and see how they create article titles to grab people
    interested. You might add a video or a picture or two to grab people excited
    about what you’ve written. In my opinion, it could bring your website a little bit more interesting.