Being funny is easy when you’ve got all the words in the world at your disposal. It’s easy when you can ramble about with big loopy paragraphs and ideas that seem to unravel like cotton candy made of laughter. But being funny on Twitter? That’s hard. And I’m not there yet. (For one thing my twitter name has an H in it. My name is Jon. How do you spell your own name wrong, @prodigaljohn.)
Yesterday, three of my friends @bryanallain of bryanallain.com/blog/ , @trippcrosby of trippcrosby.com and @TylerStanton of tylerstanton.com challenged me to raise my game or in layman’s term, get funnier on Twitter. They are all very funny and you should follow them and then say, “Whoa, Jon those guys are funnier than you,” and then I’ll get all inspired and start running laps in my cul-de-sac just yelling out 140 character jokes over and over again as a method of training.
But who else should I be following? Any ideas on who is really funny when it comes to writing on Twitter?
Recent @prodigaljohn tweets
1. Few things in life make me feel as strong as when someone asks me to move a piece of wicker furniture.
2. My wife & I made a pact today to never own/ride/be in a photo with one of those double bikes with 2 seats, 2 wheels & 2 ashamed riders
3. The new Axe bodyspray commercials where the guy is made of chocolate or maybe just smells like chocolate baffle/terrify me.
4. Sports Clips barbershop is like hair roulette. No appointments. No rules. No idea if you’ll walk out with awesome cheap or gruesome cheap
5. My wife makes PBJ sandwiches as if we were in the midst of a global jelly shortage. I believe in a 2 to 1 jelly to peanut butter ratio.
6. Do you ever wonder where all the ex members of Menudo are? There were like 400 over the years. You probably saw one today without knowing it
7. In jr high I tried to start a trend where people called me “A-tuff” instead of my last name “Acuff.” It did not take.
8. I hate shirts with bad button placement where if you button the top one it chokes you but if you leave it open, you look like a gigolo
9. Just saw a banner ad with this headline “Enter for a chance to win your hair back.” Made it sound like the hair was taken hostage.
10. Someone should make a CD of the sound the UPS truck makes when it comes to deliver a package. Few songs make me as happy.
11. I wish Hallmark made a card you could give the guy who heats up old seafood in the microwave at work. Front = photo of Cod. Inside = “Stop.”
12. I wish I had more reasons to start sentences with the phrase, “Here’s the thing you’ve got to remember about cougars …
13. God won’t ever hold us accountable for blog traffic #s. If you must choose between writing what’s popular or what’s true, chose the latter (I must have written that one on a serious Wednesday.)
Who do you follow on Twitter? Who is funny on Twitter?