(Lyndsay Rush is hilarious. Her last guest post blew up and I think this one is even better. She shares some great ways to identify a potential Christian when it comes to dating. (Unless of course, you feel called to date hot, non-Christians and win them over for the Lord with your dates.) I’m a big fan of Lyndsay. Enjoy!)
“I feel very blessed…” said our waiter as he cleared away our empty appetizer plates. He was responding to one of the many questions we had asked him throughout the night as we flirtatiously tried to determine if he was single and–even more important–a Christian.
I couldn’t tell you what he said after that because with one distinct word he had told us all we needed to know. Let’s just say he had us at ‘blessed.’
You may be rolling your eyes at this ridiculous assumption but the chances are you know exactly what I am talking about. Truth is, when you are a single Christian person in your 20s or 30s, this amateur detective work comes with the territory.
Whether you have Facestalked someone in order to examine their “religious views,” invited them somewhere on a Sunday to ascertain their church involvement (or lack thereof) or dropped your Christian school background to study their reaction, you’ve undoubtedly played a part in the Christian dating version of Clue; Professor Hot Guy with the Donald Miller Book in the Religious section of Borders.
And like any good Christian single, you know the importance of this due diligence. If you don’t nose around for a few weeks and read into specific word choices, you’ll miss your chance to determine their ‘pursue-ability’ and probably miss out on your future husband/wife.
Or at the very least the chance to evange-date them for a few weeks.
With that in mind, I bring you some helpful hints for discerning whether or not the hottie at the coffee shop/guy in class/girl volunteering at the soup kitchen is in fact a Jesus lover.
1. Show them your ‘Beloved’ tattoo and see if they get it.
2. Put your hand on their back when you say hello and see if they bow their heads and assume you’re praying over them.
3. Pull a ‘Paul’ at the beach and slyly draw half of the Christian fish in the sand and see if they complete the symbol.
4. Try and drop Darwin into small talk and see where they stand on evolution vs. creation
5. Invite them to watch a Harry Potter movie to determine what they think of the dark arts.
6. Go in for a full hug and measure the seconds it takes for them to switch it to a side hug.
7. Say, “Oh rats, I forgot my Bible at home–do you have one in your car?”
8. Observe if they have ever Retweeted @CSLewisDaily or @OswaldChambers
9. Do a quick Facebook photo scan and see if they’ve been out of the country helping children at least once in the last 3 years
10. Hum “Come Thou Fount” and see if they join in.
11. Keep your eye out for encrypted scriptures in their graphic T’s
12. Drop a “my body is a temple” line near a group of the opposite sex at the gym and see who takes the bait.
13. Pay attention to his/her email sign off. Look specifically for “His,” “Decreasing as He Increases,” “Addicted to Jesus,” and “Warmly,”
14. Slap them in the face and see if they turn the other cheek.
15. In the facial hair arena, be on the lookout for the “spiritual scruff” aka a soul patch.
16. See if she owns a tank-ini or wears a XL t shirt over her bikini at the beach
17. Check to see if he put a ring on it, and by he I mean her dad and by ring I mean promise ring.
18. Ask him about his career and listen for him to use the words “will”, “purpose” or “calling”
19. Drop a homeschool bomb and see how they react.
20. Watch him greet his friends, if he ever uses the word ‘brother’, you’re gold.
21. Check their DVD collection for, “Fireproof”.
22. If you’re feeling bold, ask him to draw his dream woman. If he simply writes ‘Proverbs 31’ on the paper and passes it back to you, you’ve got your answer.
23. Pretend you need help figuring out a math problem involving 10%. Her speed at calculating will let you know if she tithes or not.
Armed with these tips and more, you will have no problem determining your crush’s Christianity, and consequently, their date-ability.
Happy hunting my friends. And godspeed.
For more great stuff from Lyndsay, check out her blog http://www.lyndsights.com/